[Mailman-Users] Large list on FreeBSD

Enriko Groen enriko.groen at netivity.nl
Thu Jul 26 10:52:24 CEST 2001

I suppose this list is an announcement list.
Mailman was built as an mailinglist manager, so it is aimed at discussion
lists rather than announcement lists.
Keep that in mind.

I run it on FreeBSD too, with Postfix as MTA. I too misuse it for
announcement lists too; but the biggest list at this moment is 6000
subscribers. I remember unsubscribing all mambers last time (to clean up)
which took about 15 minutes.

I'm still contemplating if Mailman is the way to go for announcement lists.
The webinterface is really aimed towards small quantities of users. And for
an announcement list it would still accept messages from people trying to
abuse the list for spam (they reply). Mailman will put these on hold, but
you would still have to discard these messages. With 5000 members I had
about 20 people trying to abuse the list so with 110000 that would be 500
messages to discard. No fun!

--
Enriko Groen, Hosting manager
netivity bv   www.netivity.nl   enriko.groen at netivity.nl
038 - 850 1000   van nagellstraat 4      8011 eb  zwolle