[Mailman-Users] 2.1a2 trouble

Barry A. Warsaw barry at zope.com
Wed Jul 25 06:31:43 CEST 2001

    JDB> It built fine and I created ONE test list (yes production
    JDB> list!)...

Brave soul. :)

    JDB> I started as directed:

    JDB> /bin/mailmanctl start

    JDB> ..it worked very well....started all the queue
    JDB> runners....until I rebooted.

    JDB> I have nothing in init.d for any auto-starting of this yet...
    JDB> Manually try to start and here is what happens:

    | $ bin/mailmanctl start
    | $ Another qrunner is already running, exiting.

As you found out, it's because Mailman shutdown uncleanly and left a
stale lock file laying around.  I've just checked in a patch to
mailmanctl to print a (hopefully) more informative error message in
this case.

I'm also planning to include a documentation on what to add to your
init.d and rc?.d directories so that mailmanctl plays nicely with Unix
run levels, but I'm a little concerned that my own knowledge here may
not be very cross platform, so I need to do a bit of research first.

-Barry