[Mailman-Users] debian mailman configuration with postfix

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Sun Jul 22 22:17:29 CEST 2001

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001 05:19:03 +0200
Eli Therese <honeypot at online.no> wrote:

> Hello I have installed mailman (2.0.5) on a debian unstable
> machine with postfix mta.

Asides from the fact that I'm tracking testing rather than unstable,
that's what I'm running here.

> Debian did not set it up mailman completely though.

???

Read /usr/share/doc/mailman/README.Debian.

> It did not add the aliases needed and it seems to be running
> mailman as user list, but this user doesn't have a home directory
> (according to /etc/passwd it's supposed to be /var/list).

There is no need or particular use for the "list" user under Debian
to have a home directory.

> Any debian users know what to do to make it work?

Ensure that you have the base aliases in /etc/aliases (I believe
they are installed by the package except I don't see much in
/var/lib/dpkg/info/mailman.* and my own install was built manually
from source many years back before being moved from RH to Debian et
al:

  mailman:        someone
  owner-mailman:  someone
  mailman-owner:  someone

Add an alias map in /etc/postfix/main.cf:

  alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases, hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases
  alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases, hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases

Manually maintain /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases.

Done.

--
J C Lawrence                                    )\._.,--....,'``.