[Mailman-Users] Requested Feature - quotation limitation

alex wetmore alex at phred.org
Sat Jul 21 21:46:54 CEST 2001

On Sat, 21 Jul 2001, Irwan Hadi wrote:
> Is there patch, or update to Mailman so that it has facility to limit the
> number of quoted lines from a replied message ?
> In another words, I;m asking whether there is a facility to limit the number
> of
> >

> in a message ? The purpose is to enforce the member of a mailing lists to
> always make their reply tidy.

Stripmime (http://www.phred.org/~alex/stripmime.html) used to have code
to do this, but I removed it.  If you look at version 1 of the code
(from the same webpage) you can see where it is simply commented out.

I removed it because sometimes there are reasons for long quoted
blocks (if someone is quoting an FAQ, year old questions, or
simply forwarding a message with a client that puts > in front
of forwarded lines).

I originally wrote this code to cut off extended replies to digests.
I found a simpler solution, which is to make the maximum message size
a lot smaller than the digest size.  If you use a digest size of 30kb
then drop the max message size to 15kb.  It isn't failproof, but it
works pretty well.

alex