[Mailman-Users] Virtual Hosts

Dave Melton dmelton at banzuke.com
Fri Jul 20 22:16:23 CEST 2001

You need a separate installation for each host, but it's pretty
easy to set up, and you can use a single mailman user for all of
your installations.  Just create a separate directory under ~mailman
for each host, to hold the mailman installation and all of the files
related to that host's lists.  I call them ~mailman/lists.domain,
where "domain" is the name of that virtual host.

In the httpd.conf section for each virtual host, add aliases like:
  Alias /pipermail/ "/home/mailman/lists.domain/archives/public/"
  ScriptAlias /mailman/ "/home/mailman/lists.domain/cgi-bin/"

...that point to the directory for that host.

You have to make two changes to each of the aliases provided when
you create a list.  In /etc/aliases, add the domain name to all of
the aliases for that list.  The first part of the alias should look like

listname at domain.com:

not just

listname:

One more thing...

If you're using sendmail, create a symlink in /etc/smrsh to the
wrapper script for each host, then change the aliase to reference
that link.

In my installation, each host has its list files in:
/home/mailman/lists.domain

The second half of each alias for each list on that host is like:
"|/home/mailman/lists.domain/mail/wrapper.domain post listname"

Each link in etc/smrsh looks like
wrapper.domain -> /home/mailman/lists.domain/mail/wrapper

There may be a similar change required for other MTAs.

There may be a couple of things I've missed, but this is pretty
close to it...

Hope this helps,

  Dave Melton