[Mailman-Developers] Re: [Mailman-Users] [ANNOUNCE] Mailman 2.1 alpha 2

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Tue Jul 17 10:34:22 CEST 2001

On Sat, Jul 14, 2001 at 12:55:04PM -0400, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

>     >> I realize that a number of other sites misuse GET this way, but
>     >> I think most of the large ones (e.g., Yahoo, online brokerages
>     >> and banks, etc.) get it right, and I think Mailman should too.

[ ... ]

>     CVR> But the key is this is a finalization of a distributed
>     CVR> transaction, with e-mail distributing the token. Under other
>     CVR> circumstances, I see W3's logic.  Here, however, using a URL
>     CVR> to bring up a page that says "click here to confirm" is only
>     CVR> going to piss off Joe User, not make his life better.

> I agree with Chuq.  The user isn't going to understand the distinction
> and is just going to be annoyed by having to do, what to them seems
> like an extra unnecessary step.

After some careful consideration, as well as a chat with a few clueful
colleagues, I have to disagree with you, Barry. The trick here is 'managing
the expectations'. Having the message say something like

To confirm or remove your subscription request, visit
 <URL>

And then have that URL bring up a nice overview of what list you are
subscribing to, the options you chose (regular-digest/mime-digest/etc), what
email address you entered, and 'remove' and 'confirm' buttons. Frankly, it's
always bothered me that you can't unconfirm a mailinglist subscription, let
alone not being able to see what you are subscribing to ;P

Extra credit if you make the URL (or something similar) also work if a
subscription is held for approval, but without a 'confirm' button -- just a
'remove' one. Actually, the same kind of interface for a held message would
be great, too :)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>