[Mailman-Users] Mailman lock file cluelessness (Was: Re: 2.1a2 trouble)

Carson Gaspar carson at taltos.org
Mon Jul 16 19:58:14 CEST 2001

--On Saturday, July 14, 2001 6:59 PM -0700 Brian Bilbrey
<bilbrey at orbdesigns.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 14, 2001 at 08:44:40PM -0500, J.D. Bronson wrote:
>> Well look at this:
>>
>> -rw-rw-r--   2 mailman        46 Jul 15  2001 master-qrunner
>> -rw-rw-r--   2 mailman        46 Jul 15  2001 master-qrunner.molson.13440

> I imagine that if you write a script that starts it up nicely at
> boot, you could always have a _STOP_ case that terminates Mailman
> gracefully, leaving no lock file behind.

Mailman should detect stale lock files, all by itself. The whole _point_ of
having a pid in a lock file is so that you can detect when the lockfile
owner is dead and override the lock. Requiring admins to handle this
manually, especially when stale lockfiles happen frequently (at least under
2.0.5), is silly.

Carson Gaspar - carson at taltos.org
Queen Trapped in a Butch Body