[Mailman-Users] Enlightenment

Phil Stracchino alaric at babcom.com
Fri Jul 13 10:13:40 CEST 2001

On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 09:36:49AM +0100, Karl Carlile wrote:
> I am still waiting for someone to help with the following problem. I want to
> know how I can have addresses that work rather than the dummy addresses below.

<snip>
> > You can configure your mailing list at the following web page:
> >
> >     http://localhost.localdomain/mailman/admin/test
> >
> > The web page for users of your mailing list is:

<snip>

Karl,
It looks to me like you didn't configure Mailman properly for your domain.

You do have the machine *hosting* Mailman configured properly, host/domain
wise, right...?  Have you looked at Mailman's logs?  Mae you looked at
your MTA's logs?  Are you certain your MTA is working properly?  When you
say the addresses "don't work", what exactly does that mean -- what
happens when you try to reply?  Do you get an error back?  What is it?
Can you send mail to any addresses at all on the host machine?  Can you
send mail to root at machine?  Can you send mail from root at machine?

There's two issues at work here:

1. We can't help you if you don't give us enough information about the
   problem.

2. You're coming from a Windows environment aimed at very technically
   unsophisticated users, and trying to jump directly into several complex
   interlinked tools on a very complex, technically demanding operating
   system, all three of which have to work together and work properly to
   do what you want.  It's a very steep learning curve, and you're not
   giving yourself much time to learn it.  Your lack of knowledge limits
   our ability to help you because it limits your ability to know the
   right questions to ask.

--
 Linux Now!   ..........Because friends don't let friends use Microsoft.
 phil stracchino   --   the renaissance man   --   mystic zen biker geek
        alaric at babcom.com                halmayne at sourceforge.net
   2000 CBR929RR, 1991 VFR750F3 (foully murdered), 1986 VF500F (sold)