[Mailman-Users] Re: Mailman-Users digest, Vol 1 #1317 - 19 msgs

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Thu Jul 12 09:05:27 CEST 2001

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001 23:13:39 -0400
Chuck Moss <cmmm at mossc.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 10:46:31AM -0700, J C Lawrence wrote:
>> On Tue, 10 Jul 2001 13:50:32 -0400 bob <Puff at NLE"
>> <bob at nleaudio.com>> wrote:

>> symlinks are your friend.  Just link out the directories you want
>> elsewhere.

> politely disagree ;-) symlinks are a workaround for poorly sized
> partitions or bad directory structures.  Just my opinion.

Unfortunately there are tools and applications which assume
directory structures which are different than you may prefer.  If
those tools are not natively capable of adapting to a different
directory structure then there's little choice but to use symlinks.
We can argue all we want about the FHS and how much we like it,
think its great etc, except that doesn't really help in those cases
where you explicitly need something else to fit local requirements,
and that either means adding a directory abstraction layer into all
the code, or symlinking.

As the latter is the less complex solution...

J C Lawrence                                             claw at kanga.nu
---------(*)                                http://www.kanga.nu/~claw/
I never claimed to be human.