[Mailman-Users] help with rather time-sensitive dilemma??

J C Lawrence claw at 2wire.com
Wed Jul 11 01:52:36 CEST 2001

ObApologia: I'm not a QMail user so no betting please.

On Tue, 10 Jul 2001 16:21:47 -0700
arandall  <Amanda> wrote:

> The qmail-users mailing list has been zero help. In fact nobody
> even had any suggestions... So I turn once again to youse folks.

Given their parochial attitude regarding EZMLM that's not
surprising.

> Here's what's happening. I subscribe my local account on the
> server where Mailman and qmail reside (amanda at tux) [hey, don't
> blame me for the corny server name!]. I get a confirmation of my
> subscription.

If the list is configured to also send an alert to the owner, does
the owner also receive one?  (bottom of first admin page)

> I send a message from amanda at tux to testlist at tux. A message is
> sent back to amanda at tux informing me that my post has been held
> for moderator approval; that message to my user does arrive. The
> message awaiting approval does show up in the admin web
> interface. The admin does NOT get email notification that there's
> a post waiting for approval (and I should be getting that,
> shouldn't I?

If configured as such.  (bottom of first admin page)

> I have it set to notify as posts come in, not at the end of the
> day...)

Then you should get an alert.

  What happens if you run mail or mailx from the command line and
  send a message to the owner address (testlist-owner at tux)?  Does it
  get delivered?

  What happens if you telnet to port 25 on the localhost and
  hand-write a message to the owner address?  Does it
  get delivered?

  Repeat the last with the FQDN for the host.

  What happens if you use 'sendmail -t' to send a message to the
  owner?  Does it get delivered?

Which delivery model are you using under Mailman: sendmail or
SmptDirect?  (recommend SmtpDirect)

> qmail logs show the message (114919) from amanda at tux to local
> testlist at tux delivered successfully at 15:15. (the post) one
> message (114919, same as above) delivered successfully from
> testlist-admin at tux to testlist-admin at tux at 15:16.  one message
> (115070) being delivered successfully from testlist-admin at tux to
> testlist-admin at tux at 15:16; one message (114919) delivered
> successfully from amanda at tux to amanda at tux at 15:20. (presumably
> the notification that my post is being held for approval?)

> That's it. Nothing, nada. There are no errors showing refused
> connections, timeouts, etc in the qmail logs (and these show up
> very nicely when mail doesn't send, at least under other
> [non-mailman] circumstances). The actual message never arrives in
> any subscriber's box. In fact, from what I can see of the above,
> the message is never being sent OUT to the list. Here's another
> clue - Mailman bounce logs show the following (at present, this
> email address is the admin!):

> 15:17:01 (6301) Testlist: arandall at auntminnie.com - 2 more allowed
> over -521998 secs 15:37:03 (6420) Testlist:
> arandall at auntminnie.com - 2 more allowed over -523201 secs
> 15:37:03 (6420) Testlist: arandall at auntminnie.com - 1 more allowed
> over -523201 secs 15:37:04 (6420) Testlist:
> arandall at auntminnie.com - 0 more allowed over -523201 secs

Urk.  That's bad.

> Now, qmail can send mail to arandall at auntminnie.com without
> issue. I do it all the time... So why does Mailman think it's
> bouncing?

If you do the above analysis steps (mailx and hand-write SMTP) you
should have a much better idea of what may be happening, especially
if you also watch your mail logs.

J C Lawrence                                       claw at kanga.nu
The pressure to survive and rhetoric may make strange bedfellows