[Mailman-Users] help with rather time-sensitive dilemma??

Amanda arandall at auntminnie.com
Wed Jul 11 01:21:47 CEST 2001

I am this > < close to giving up on qmail as a viable MTA for
Mailman... No, that's not fully true... I'm not even 100% certain that
the problem is qmail as opposed to mailman, or vice versa. Other mail
is passing through qmail without difficulty, but mail for the mailing
lists seems to go into a black hole, never to be seen again by mortal
eyes. I don't fully grasp what's going on, and I'm going insane trying
to figure it out -- and now I have an added problem: if I don't have
Mailman functional by Friday at 5pm, "we will be exploring other
options under Windows NT..." That pains me more than I can say. As if
I didn't have enough fires lit under my chair right now...

The qmail-users mailing list has been zero help. In fact nobody even
had any suggestions... So I turn once again to youse folks.

Here's what's happening. I subscribe my local account on the server
where Mailman and qmail reside (amanda at tux) [hey, don't blame me for
the corny server name!]. I get a confirmation of my subscription. I
send a message from amanda at tux to testlist at tux. A message is sent back
to amanda at tux informing me that my post has been held for moderator
approval; that message to my user does arrive. The message awaiting
approval does show up in the admin web interface. The admin does NOT
get email notification that there's a post waiting for approval (and I
should be getting that, shouldn't I? I have it set to notify as posts
come in, not at the end of the day...)  It does not matter whether the
admin's email address is local (on tux) or remote.

qmail logs show the message (114919) from amanda at tux to local
testlist at tux delivered successfully at 15:15. (the post)
one message (114919, same as above) delivered successfully from
testlist-admin at tux to testlist-admin at tux at 15:16.
one message (115070) being delivered successfully from
testlist-admin at tux to testlist-admin at tux at 15:16;
one message (114919) delivered successfully from amanda at tux to
amanda at tux at 15:20. (presumably the notification that my post is
being held for approval?)

That's it. Nothing, nada. There are no errors showing refused
connections, timeouts, etc in the qmail logs (and these show up very
nicely when mail doesn't send, at least under other [non-mailman]
circumstances). The actual message never arrives in any subscriber's
box. In fact, from what I can see of the above, the message is never
being sent OUT to the list. Here's another clue - Mailman bounce logs
show the following (at present, this email address is the admin!):

15:17:01 (6301) Testlist: arandall at auntminnie.com - 2 more allowed
over -521998 secs
15:37:03 (6420) Testlist: arandall at auntminnie.com - 2 more allowed
over -523201 secs
15:37:03 (6420) Testlist: arandall at auntminnie.com - 1 more allowed
over -523201 secs
15:37:04 (6420) Testlist: arandall at auntminnie.com - 0 more allowed
over -523201 secs

Now, qmail can send mail to arandall at auntminnie.com without issue. I
do it all the time... So why does Mailman think it's bouncing? What
does the (6420) designate, and why are there three of them over a
two-second period?

Here's the post log:
15:17:01 (6301) post to testlist from testlist-admin at tux.[foo.bar],
size=362, 1 failures
15:37:03 (6420) post to testlist from testlist-admin at tux.[foo.bar],
size=296, 1 failures
15:37:03 (6420) post to testlist from testlist-admin at tux.[foo.bar],
size=194, 1 failures
15:37:04 (6420) post to testlist from testlist-admin at tux.[foo.bar],
size=204, 1 failures

Obviously these directly correlate to the bounce log, but no
indication of what's really going on here...
Here's the smtp log:
15:17:01 (6301) smtp for 1 recips, completed in 0.071 secs
15:37:03 (6420) smtp for 1 recips, completed in 0.487 secs
15:37:03 (6420) smtp for 1 recips, completed in 0.050 secs
15:37:04 (6420) smtp for 1 recips, completed in 0.050 secs

The subscribe log just shows the subscriptions to the testlist
(accurately).
The vette log shows:
15:16:01 (6289) Testlist post from amanda at tux.[foo.bar] held: Post to
moderated list
15:36:18 (6418) approved held message enqueued: heldmsg-testlist-2.txt

15:36:18 (6418) approved held message enqueued: heldmsg-testlist-3.txt

15:36:18 (6418) approved held message enqueued: heldmsg-testlist-4.txt

And I can see that the three approved posts almost certainly
correspond to the items occurring at 15:37:03 and :04.

Why the heck aren't the messages getting through? Point number one,
the bounce log is only showing bounces to the arandall at auntminnie.com
address; it's not showing bounces to the local amanda at tux.[foo.bar]
address. Yet amanda at tux isn't getting the posts either.

Anybody who can shed any light on this subject ... I will send you a
voucher for a beer, or chocolate, or whatever. I have a lot riding on
getting this sucker working....

::going bonkers::
=)
Amanda