[Mailman-Users] Non-User Friendly Program

Amanda arandall at auntminnie.com
Tue Jul 10 21:51:01 CEST 2001

(For the French-impaired, a rough translation of Alexa-Francesca's
message: "I do not at all appreciate the tone that you use to write to
me, nor that of your colleague Mr Roger B.A. Klorese. ...  Now, I
would greatly appreciate that you discuss this message with one of
your superiors and ask him whether you or Mr Klorese have any right to
speak to me as you do. Thanks in advance for your kindness...")

Ms. Karliev,

With all due respect, you seem to be missing the point. It is not
these people's job to provide technical support to you or anyone, and
they have no *obligation* to help you (or anyone else) whatsoever. Any
help one person gives to another on this list is out of personal
kindness and a voluntary willingness to share information. The name of
this mailing list is "Mailman-Users." That means you're talking to
other people who *use* the program. Rather like yourself - or rather,
like you would be doing if you grasped the concepts in question.

This group is not comprised of, oh, say, employees of Mailman, Inc.
Some of the folks on this list are directly or indirectly responsible
for the various portions of code that comprise the program Mailman.
They, however, are not obligated or contracted to help you, either.

There is no superior to whom to report, except perhaps to God,
Goddess, the patron saint of programmers (whoever that is), or the
alpha entity of whatever religious belief system to which the various
parties of this list subscribe. I will, if you desire, make a copy of
this letter and burn it in reverent offering to the goddess
Persephone, a maiden who was by unfortunate circumstance made to
suffer half her life in the realm of Hades. (Or was it the realm of
tech support? Is there a difference?) I'm sure that she will be
understanding of the "tone" in which my letter was written, and I
doubt there will be many karmic repercussions for my attempt to both
assist and educate you.

The information you will need to be successful in the use of this
program is out there, and many people have attempted to open the door
to that information for you; however, you will have to walk through
the door yourself. Nobody here is going to spoon-feed you. If that's
what you are seeking, I'm afraid you will need to look somewhere else.

Sincerely,
=)
Amanda