[Mailman-Users] exim/mailman problems

Jeffrey A Schoolcraft dream at dr3amscap3.com
Fri Jul 6 13:48:07 CEST 2001

* Oliver Egginger (Oliver.Egginger at dvz.fh-giessen.de) wrote:
> Message from thursday 05 June 2001 17:51:
>
> Hey, anyone on the list read mailman-related questions ????
> Never mind...,
> :-)
Yeah, I do.  I did a search but unfortunately (or fortunately) a lot of
people use mailman mailing lists, and a lot use the exim mail server.
coincidentally, many use both, so narrowing search results was
difficult.
> If you get "2" from exim-transport this means that exim can't call successfully the
> mail-wrapper, cause he uses an illegal GID.
> You have to set the mail-GID-option right !!
> Right ?!
well, that's good to know.
> Again:
> If you have Exim configured to run under root-rights and
> he does a "su" for every delivery, he will call the mail-wrapper
> as user "mailman", so you have to do a:
>
> ./configure --with-mail-gid=mailman
> make install
I did ./configure --with-mail-gid=mailman (1001) --with-cgi-gid=65534
(nobody)
make install

One thing that mailman does do, is it sent out the email to the list
admin.  When I set up a test account, I got the email from mailman.
When I registered people as admin, they got the email.  list,
list-request, and list-admin all failed to work.

Jeffrey Schoolcraft