[Mailman-Users] Admin utilities available via web?

John W Baxter jwblist at olympus.net
Thu Jul 5 17:30:37 CEST 2001

At 1:50 -0500 7/5/2001, Bill Bradford wrote:
>On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 05:50:14PM -0400, Forrest Aldrich wrote:
>> Can we not log in and _create_ lists through the www interface?   As it
>> stands now, I believe you do a newlist (command line) and then edit the
>> stuff via www (if you choose).
>> Obviously, creating lists via www is a potential security problem, but it
>> can be restricted.
>> Or did I miss something in the docs?
>> _F
>
>You have to be able to edit your MTA's aliases file, and letting this
>be done via a web interface is a HUGE security risk.  Plus, you'd have
>to build in support for all the major MTAs.

It's not uniformly necessary to mess with aliases...one can use Exim and
the HOWTOd (on the Exim site) method of dealing with Mailman.  A few
aliases are added initially, and some directors and so on in the Exim
configuration...then additional lists are handled without additional
changes (IIRC, Exim detects mailing lists based on the presence of the
lists' database files).

We run this way...the "IIRC" is there because it's so smooth I would have
to look at the FAQ or the Exim configuration to remember how it's done.

Unfortunately, the Exim site resists posting URLs...go to
http://www.exim.org
or
http://www.us.exim.org

then click in the left frame on Documentation and FAQs and look in the
resulting right frame for the HOWTO on "Using mailman lists with exim"

   --John

--
John Baxter   jwblist at olympus.net      Port Ludlow, WA, USA