[Mailman-Users] Admin utilities available via web?

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Thu Jul 5 13:57:15 CEST 2001

Bill Bradford (mrbill at mrbill.net) said something that sounded like:
> You have to be able to edit your MTA's aliases file, and letting this
> be done via a web interface is a HUGE security risk.

Letting it happen by anyone is a HUGE security risk. So *if* we trust
anyone to do it, it's no less secure (given proper security measures) to
do it via the web or via the command line.

> Plus, you'd have to build in support for all the major MTAs.

Well, that's only sorta true. Configuration options take care of most of
it.

> (example - with Postfix, its best to keep TWO aliases files, both referenced
>  in the mail config file - one for "normal" aliases, and one for
>  the Mailman lists..)

That's how I do sendmail as well. When I build the new list, I just give
the path to the correct alias file.

Ciao,

--
Pug Bainter                                        |        AMD, Inc.
System Engineer, MTS                               |      Mail Stop 625