[Mailman-Users] automatic unsubscription

Bob Puff @ NLE bob at nleaudio.com
Fri Jan 12 04:04:10 CET 2001

Ok guys, here's my feeble attempt (that works!) to allow someone to
unsubscribe by simply sending an email to a certain address.

First, set up your aliases file with the additional entry:

test-unsub:              "|/home/mailman/test-unsub"

Now, put this little script file in /home/mailman:

#!/bin/bash
#
# Mailman auto unsubscription
#
sp="xxxx"  #site password
ladr="test-request at yourdomain.com"  #list -request address
#
#
read fl ;
addr="`echo $fl | awk '{print $2}'`" ;
echo "unsubscribe $sp $addr" | mail -s "unsubscribe $sp $addr" $ladr

Modify the SP= and the LADR= lines as needed for your list.
Save the file.  Now CHMOD 755 the file.

That's it!  The only disadvantage so far is that because the mailer runs
under the permissions from Mailman, the reply "you've been unsubscribed"
message goes to your mailman address.  If someone wants to elaborate on
this, I'd suggest using sendmail, and making the "from:" address be the same
as the original sender (what is extracted here).

Have fun!

Bob