[Mailman-Users] SMTP error "All recipients refused"

Dave Melton dmelton at banzuke.com
Tue Jan 9 00:07:48 CET 2001

I've been a happy Mailman user for many months, with absolutely no
problems.  I just rebuilt my server from scratch using RHL 7.0 (previous
installation was RHL 6.1).  Everything else is back on the air, but I
can't seem to get Mailman going again.  I rebuilt and reinstalled from the
current distribution, created a test list, and subscribed myself to it.

Problem is, I can't get Mailman to send anything!

~mailman/logs/smtp is growing rapidly, with lines like -

Jan 08 02:51:03 2001 (24659) All recipients refused: host not found
Jan 08 02:51:03 2001 (24659) smtp for 1 recips, completed in 0.067 seconds

When it says "host not found", how do I tell what host it was trying to
reach?  Seems like that would help narrow it down to whether Mailman
is sending to the wrong place or sendmail isn't listening...

Oh yeah, here are the relevant product versions -
  Linux (RHL 7.0) 2.2.16-22
  mailman version 2.0
  sendmail version 8.11.0
  python version 1.5.2

Any troubleshooting advice (or simply pointing out my obvious dumb
mistake) would be welcome.  Let me know if you need any other info.

Thanks in advance,

  Dave Melton