[Mailman-Users] Monthly passwords really broken

John W Baxter jwblist at olympus.net
Sat Jan 6 18:51:42 CET 2001

At 23:46 -0500 1/5/01, Bob Puff @ NLE wrote:
>Hi Dan & All,
>
>> I don't see any problem description.  There's also no time period
>> mentioned.
>
>What is wrong with the picture of a mailing list that is not in use (with
>only two members - me and me) sending out 1000+ emails for password
>reminders the first of the month???  I'd say that's a problem description.
>I also saw one of the emails sent out was on one of the other lists - not
>the "test" list.  That's a second (but probably really the same bug)
>problem.

Indeed...that is the well-known and much discussed problem we as mailman
users can't do much about right now (to paraphrase).

It does *need* to be fixed (the administrator of a small list does not want
to get complaints from the members of a much larger list about the monthly
reminders).  I haven't looked at the code, so I don't know how hard the fix
would be...but it hasn't been done yet, which is an indication of
non-triviality.

2.0.1 is out (see SourceForge).  It was announced in this list and in the
mailman-announce list.  Its release notes do not mention fixing the above,
so the problem quite likely isn't fixed in 2.0.1.

  --John
--
John Baxter   jwblist at olympus.net      Port Ludlow, WA, USA