[Mailman-Users] Implicit Destination

Dan Mick Dan.Mick at west.sun.com
Wed Jan 3 01:07:16 CET 2001

Douglas Munoz wrote:

> I think I found a solution, but wanted to check with the list to see if I am
> correct.
> I was poking around the excerpts and found that people were sending messages
> to my list "resume at foo.bar" with addresses such as "resume at foo.bar;
> resume at jobs.com; resume at frank.com; resume at blah.com; etc."

I think there's information in here but I can't see it.  What do you mean
"with address such as resume at foo.bar; resume at jobs.com; etc.", exactly?
Do you mean messages that had

To: resume at foo.bar; resume at jobs.com

or

To: resume at foo.bar, resume at jobs.com

or

To: resume at foo.bar

 and others with

To: resume at jobs.com

or what?

In the first case, I *think* that's an illegal address; AFAIK, ';' is not allowed in an
email address; but if not, it's effectively the same as the second case.

In the second case, that's multiple addresses on one To: line, which includes
the list address you gave, so shouldn't be a problem.

In the third case, the first message is to the list, so shouldn't cause a problem, but the
second message is *not* to the list, and will definitely cause a problem.

> What I did was go
> into list admin and under privacy options, did the following:
>
> Ceiling on acceptable number of recipients for a posting >>> 1
>
> This was changed from the default of 10. Should this solve the problem?

???  "Implicit destination" means, as has been said, "the list address is not mentioned
in To: or Cc:"; the *number* of recipients doesn't affect and isn't affected by
the *content* of recipients.  No, this has nothing to do with the problem of
seeing messages held for approval because of implicit destination addresses.