[Mailman-Users] config_list

Marc MERLIN marc_news at valinux.com
Wed Jan 3 00:18:36 CET 2001

On Tue, Jan 02, 2001 at 05:56:41PM -0500, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 26, 2000 at 02:11:25PM -0500, Kenneth Jacker wrote:
> > I'd like to use "config_list" to transfer list ALPHA's configuration
> > to a new list BETA.  Is this the recommended procedure?
> >

> >   1) bin/config_list -o config.ALPHA  ALPHA
> >
> >   2) cp config.ALPHA config.BETA
> >
> >   3) Use an editor to change all occurrences of "ALPHA" in
> >      "config.BETA" to "BETA"
> >
> >   4) bin/newlist BETA
> >
> >   5) bin/config_list -i config.BETA BETA
>
>     MM> You will lose your list membership if you do that.
>
> You shouldn't, since the list attributes containing membership
> information aren't dumped by config_list -o.

Note that he did a newlist BETA.
If he had done
cp lists/ALPHA/config.db  lists/BETA/config.db, and  then a  move_list BETA,
that would  have kept  the list  membership, but a  newlist BETA  creates an
empty list,  and even  though he's  going to copy  all the  attributes, it's
still going to be empty afterwards.

All that said, it doesn't matter because he didn't want to copy the
membership.

> Remember one interesting thing about config_list that I think most
> people are not aware of: you can dump a list's configuration with
> config_list -o, then edit the resulting file, removing any
> configuration variables that you don't want to change.  When you suck
> the edited file back into the list with config_list -i, only the
> listed variables will be changed.

Yeah, that's very useful, I've used it more than once.

Marc