[Mailman-Users] Newlist from a webpage?

Barry A. Warsaw barry at digicool.com
Tue Jan 2 22:56:39 CET 2001

    DK> Essentially the problem here is just to pass a piece of
    DK> information from a program with no privileges running as
    DK> nobody to a program with the ability to update the aliases
    DK> file and run newlist.

As more MTAs gain the ability to "magically" recognize new mailing
lists, the hurdles to a ttw (through the web) newlist decrease.  There
are recipes for Exim and Postfix -- scan the archives, and btw, Wieste
sent me an email with some better ideas than I'd posted before, but
haven't tried yet.  Writing a CGI shouldn't be too hard, except that
Mailman's current CGI generating scripts are in serious need of
rewriting.

For other, non-automagic MTAs, I envision a simple pluggable framework
for sticking in your own post-list-creation scripts.  That way you
could add some setuid thingy that e.g. runs newaliases and HUPs your
MTA.

One issue is: who gets to create and delete new lists?  Probably only
those with the site password.

-Barry