[Mailman-Users] Next: newlist admin passwords not working?

Christopher P. Lindsey lindsey at mallorn.com
Tue Feb 20 09:40:15 CET 2001

> When I get my email that the list has been created, this is the password
> it shows me.
>
> But, when I go to the admin page and try to login using that password (I
> cut/paste from Emacs to Netscape it so I know it's right), I always get
> "Authentication failed".
>
> I have to log in with the site password and change the list password
> that way.

Are you running the Web server on the same system as the email services?
I ran into some problems a while back where the Web server didn't have
the Python crypt module installed, but the mail server did.  The upshot
was that Mailman used crypt() to create passwords on the mail server,
but then couldn't authenticate against them on the Web server.  :)

What is USE_CRYPT set to in mm_cfg.py (or is it just the default)?

Chris