[Mailman-Users] Password Web Pages

Dave Disser disser at sdd.hp.com
Fri Feb 9 23:17:08 CET 2001

Phydeaux <reb at taco.com> writes:

> At 03:06 PM 2/9/2001 -0500, Oscar Valdez wrote:
> >Hello list members:
> >
> >I am using version 1.1 of Mailman, that was move from one server to
> >another.
> >Mails from all the lists are being send and received normally.
> >The problem I am encountering is that the web access to the
> >administration pages keep asking me the requiered password on each page
> >that is been requested.
> >
> >Please suggest me what to in order to solve this problem
>
> Are cookies turned off in your browser? That's the most likely cause. The
> initial login page says this:
>
> >Session cookies are used in Mailman's administrative interface so that you
> >don't need to re-authenticate with every administrative operation. This
> >cookie will expire automatically when you exit your browser, or you can
> >explicitly expire the cookie by hitting the Logout link under Other
> >Administrative Activities (which you'll see once you successfully log in).

I see this a lot too, with cookies enabled, using 2.0.1 of mailmand
and Netscape 4.76 under HP-UX.  The way I observe it is that if I move
among the administration pages of several lists, eventually Mailman
will cease to "remember" the fact that I authenticated for a list, as
though cookies were turned off, or some limit has been reached or
something.  Restarting Netscape fixes the problem until it happens
again.

--Dave