[Mailman-Users] Mailman as helpdesk tool

Mike Lehmann foosball at vovida.org
Wed Feb 7 03:58:34 CET 2001

Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
> I wouldn't do that. the helpdesk piece is complex enough you don't want to
> try to wedge it onto Mailman. Instead, use a helpdesk or bug tracking system
> like bugzilla. Go to freshmeat.net and search on "helpdesk" or "bug
> tracking'. You'll find a number of things that can do the job a lot easier
> than trying to whack Mailman into submission.
>
> I've actually been looking at this recently myself, since I need a way to

I'm also working on this problem.  I am webmaster for a telephony site,
which uses bugzilla and mailman (with multiple lists), and we are trying
to integrate the two.  My current thinking is to use procmail to listen
to posts to the various lists and to generate a bugzilla bug based on
that
email.  The owner of the bug will be someone associated with the list
the
bug was sent to.

When the bug is created, email is sent which contains a url to the
proper
point in bugzilla.  The owner can then visit the bug, read the
description,
and then either remove it or assign it to whomever can best handle that
bug.

The problem, I think, is finding an automatic way to initially
categorize
the bug and then to alert a human of its placement so that the bug can
*quickly* be re-categorized if necessary.

regards,
Mike Lehmann, vovida.org
--
I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it.