[Mailman-Users] Wish: Change address.

Thomas Roessler roessler at does-not-exist.org
Wed Feb 7 00:15:56 CET 2001

On 2001-02-06 14:44:33 -0800, Dan Mick wrote:

> Yes, that's inarguable.  You could also make it so that the
> mailing list software wipes the user's butt for them; it's only a
> matter of hardware and the right testing procedure.

"How do I change my subscription address" is about the only question
from users concerning mailman's interface so far, which is why I've
dared to forward it to this mailing list.  Your opinions about
users' butts, on the other hand, seem to be rather irrelevant to
this list - but then again, I might be entirely wrong about what is
relevant or appropriate on a list for the users of some particular
mailing list management software.

> IMO, there are more-pressing problems, but obviously opinions
> differ.

Guess why I wrote "wish" (like "please put this onto your wishlist")
in the subject, not "bug" (like "please fix this asap").

While we are on the topic of real bugs, here is one: The RFC2047
parser in pipermail seems to fail globally under certain
circumstances.  More precisely, archive indexes where only few
messages are using RFC2047's encoding are fine, but indexes with
more messages just contain the raw, encoded material - for all
messages.  Bad enough, I have not been able to identify a more
precise pattern, yet.

Additionally, it seems that - when it works - the RFC2047 parser
used by pipermail doesn't handle adjacent encoded words correctly:
Something like

	=?iso-8859-1?Q?=C4?= =?iso-8859-1?Q?ae?=

should be decoded to "Äae" (without any space in between), and not
to "Ä ae" (what mailman's parser seems to do).

--
Thomas Roessler			    <roessler at does-not-exist.org>