[Mailman-Users] Wish: Change address.

Dave Melton dmelton at banzuke.com
Wed Feb 7 01:03:04 CET 2001

Hey Dan, when can you have that butt-wiping fix ready?
I've got a few users that need all the help they can get!

IMHO, the "change email address and retain settings" action
is only one of a number of things someone might want to do.
Subscribing under multiple addresses is quite legitimate as
well, particularly for members-only lists.  I have users that
are subscribed to the same list under at least 3 different
addresses.  Personally, I'll usually subscribe under a new
address and make sure I'm getting messages before I unsub the
previous asddress.

I'll agree that simplifying an address change would be nice,
but most of the people that can't figure out unsub/resub are
just going to send me a "Can you change my email address?"
message anyway!

I think this change would fit in quite well with adding the
notion of "real names" to the database.  The ability to
locate and tweak all of your subscriptions and settings (either
within a list or across a server) based on your name would be
a great addition to Mailman.

Now, before Dan gets uptight -
1) Mailman is great, just as it is (and worth lots more than
   what I paid for it)
2) Open source rules!!!
3) Given #2, I'm not going to complain about anything unless
   I've got the time and energy to code what I want.

My humble $0.02,
  Dave Melton