[Mailman-Users] Stuck outgoing message

Dan Mick dan.mick at west.sun.com
Tue Feb 6 21:32:31 CET 2001

Richard Martin wrote:

> I am refining the definition of the problem 'Can not check MX records'
>
> Apparently there is a bad address in the users list, bad in the respect
> that the destination server has a broken MX record. consequently, the
> posted message is patiently waiting in queue, hitting a brick wall every
> minute.
>
> How can I flush out or delete messages queued by Mailman?  I have looked
> thorough the directories and archives, but I can't seem to locate much
> on this one.

That's because it doesn't involve Mailman.  Mailman has given the message to
your MTA; it's now the MTA who is (correctly) retrying delivery.

If you feel you must violate the accepted timeout periods helping to
ensure reliable Internet mail delivery, or if you just want to punish this
user for having flaky DNS, you can probably remove queued messages by hand
(if it's sendmail) or perhaps with some more-complex procedure (for some
other MTA).