[Mailman-Users] error

Dan Mick dmick at utopia.west.sun.com
Sat Feb 3 00:18:19 CET 2001

> this is the error in my elog:
> [Thu Feb  1 23:08:29 2001] [error] (1)Operation not permitted: exec of
> /opt/home/mailman/cgi-bin/listinfo failed
> [Thu Feb  1 23:08:29 2001] [error] [client 213.224.83.70] Premature end of
> script headers: /opt/home/mailman/cgi-bin/listinfo
>
> i tried taking the s-bit off the cgis, and then i get a different error:
> (so that the scripts are run as nobody, not as mailman)
> the page gives me

> 1. Bug in mailman blah blah
> from .elog -> can't write to error
> changes perms of logs/error to 777 (temporary)
> 2. Bug in mailman blah bla
> from logs/errors -> can't read write config.db
> course not, the thing runs as nobody and config.db is
> -rw-rw----    1 mailman  mailman      2931 Feb  1 23:13 config.db

So, if sgid CGIs don't run, but non-sgid CGIs do (but can't work),
is your Apache config such that sgid CGIs aren't permitted
by a mere ScriptAlias, like, are you using suEXEC or something?
I don't see this error in my Apache source, so maybe the ability
to run sgid CGIs by default has changed
from an older to a newer Apache or something?...