[Mailman-Users] Approved header

Dave Sherohman esper at sherohman.org
Fri Feb 2 16:11:14 CET 2001

On Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 08:46:42AM -0600, James Thompson wrote:
> First, Mailman doesn't seem to allow a user to type
>
> as the first line of the mail to the list to bypass the approval by the
> administrator.  The user doesn't want to maintain the list of posters that
> bypass approval.  So this is holding up the migration of 3 lists.
>
> Is this not supported?

No.  Mailman doesn't use an Approved header, so adding one has no effect.
(Incidentally, what you describe seems like a very ugly, labor-intensive,
insecure, and just plain *wrong* way of allowing multiple people to post
to a moderated list.  I can't see how allowing list members to bypass
moderation could be a Good Thing.  Shame on majordomo!)

To achieve a similar effect in Mailman, go to the "Privacy Options"
page and add the implictly-approved users' addresses to the "Addresses
of members accepted for posting to this list without implicit approval
requirement" box.  (Yes, I know you said the user doesn't want to maintain
that list.  It should be a more-or-less one-shot deal, though - if the
list of approved posters is changing constantly, I would suspect that
it would be more reasonable to either unmoderate the list or let the
messages be held and apporved manually.)

--
SGI products are used to create the 'Bugs' that entertain us in theatres
and at home. - SGI job posting