[Mailman-Users] how to remove badly formed email address from list

Christopher P. Lindsey lindsey at mallorn.com
Thu Feb 1 21:47:44 CET 2001

> I've got a user on one of my lists who's subscribed himself with the email
> address with a form of "myname at home"@isp.co.uk.
>
> Of course, this address is completely undeliverable, and every mail out to
> the list bounces. So I'd like to remove this guy. But I can't figure out
> how!

It *is* a valid RFC 822 address.  Unfortunately, Mailman doesn't work well
with quoted addresses, especially those containing whitespace (it often
breaks things up based on white space, so something like

   "Bobo the emu of luv"@example.com

will get split into 5 parts).

> If I deselect him from the web interface, mailman complains that the user
> doesn't exist. Same if I try it via the mail interface.
>
> I've tried every combination of quotes and escapes I can think of.

I had no problems removing entries like this with $PREFIX/bin/remove_members.
Does it give you an error?

Chris