[Mailman-Users] what to do when you have list <list> *and* list <list>-admin?

Markus Kachel kachel at muenster.de
Sat Dec 22 08:33:39 CET 2001

Hello Jessica, hi all,

On 22 Dec 2001, You wrote to subject: [Mailman-Users] what to do when you have list <list> *and* list <list>-admin?

> How should I deal with this? (Other than telling these guys they
> either can't use mailman or they can't have a list called "something-admin"
> if they also have a list called "something". I definitely want to use
> mailman, so I hope there's a solution!)

I thing, that it is the best solution to change the name for the
second list. Many list-robots use <list>-admin as the adress for the
Admin or Moderator of the list, for example Mailman and Majordomo. So
it is nearly a standard, because it is often used.
On my system all Mailinglists have -ml appended. To take your Example:
foo-ml:                    "|/home/mailman/mail/wrapper post foo-ml"
foo-ml-admin:              "|/home/mailman/mail/wrapper mailowner foo-ml"
foo-ml-request:            "|/home/mailman/mail/wrapper mailcmd foo-ml"
foo-ml-owner:              foo-ml-admin

foo-admin-ml:                    "|/home/mailman/mail/wrapper post foo-admin-ml"
foo-admin-ml-admin:              "|/home/mailman/mail/wrapper mailowner foo-admin-ml"
foo-admin-ml-request:            "|/home/mailman/mail/wrapper mailcmd foo-admin-ml"
foo-admin-ml-owner:              foo-admin-ml-admin

If you can see there is no problem with this combination. Another
positiv reason is that you can see if it is a normal address or a
mailinglist.
Hope you understand it, because my english isn't the best.

Bye
Markus

E-Mail:   kachel at muenster.de
Homepage: http://www.kachelonline.de