[Mailman-Users] migrating from majordomo

Jon Carnes jonc at haht.com
Wed Dec 19 17:49:57 CET 2001

We really need to document this and add it to the FAQ... if it's not already
there.

Check the mailman logs ~mailman/logs/... and see what they indicate.  It's
likely one of two problems:

The first is that the gid for your email wasn't correctly compiled
into the wrapper when you installed mailman.  The wrapper will
print an error in the log files (~mailman/logs/...) telling you that it
got the wrong gid.  This is a security measure and easy to fix,
but you have to re-install and specify the proper gid used by your
MTA (sendmail, postfix, qmail, exim, etc...)

The second and more insidious problem is local routing.  This is
all inside the MTA.  You will need to make sure that localhost is
allowed to route via your MTA.  Also Postfix has a few old
releases in which delivery via localhost is broken and cannot be
turned on.  If you have Postfix, you must upgrade (or downgrade...
but who would do that!).  Some MTA's such as Sendmail use
SMRSH and won't let the wrapper be used by the MTA until the
wrapper is properly identified to SMRSH.

For Sendmail, check out /etc/mail/access and make sure that you
have entries similar to the following in there for "localhost":
  localhost.localdomain           RELAY
  localhost                       RELAY
  127.0.0.1                       RELAY

Hope this helps,