[Mailman-Users] Big Lists

Dan Wilder dan at ssc.com
Tue Dec 18 21:39:22 CET 2001

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 12:02:07PM -0800, J C Lawrence wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Dec 2001 10:39:39 -0800
> Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui at plaidworks.com> wrote:

> >> I have found this to be no real change.  On a PIII-500 with 512M
> >> I am getting 100K-120K/hr on a T1 connection with avg message of
> >> 6.1K.
>
> > Then I'd guess you have a fairly small group of domains you deal
> > with. The wider your subscribers wander, especially if you cross
> > continents, the more you'll see issues with slow DNS. Better to
> > turn it off and let the Mta deal with it asynchronously.
>

> Uhh, Chuq, from the man page:
>
>    disable_dns_lookups
>               Disable  DNS  lookups. This means that mail must be
>               forwarded via a smart relay host.

Maybe I'm being stoopid or something.

Supposing I have a list server, which I wish to deliver
directly to the subscribers, rather than making use of a
presumably bigger, better connected, or faster smarthost.

Then I want to do precisely what I've done: that is, leave

  disable_dns_lookups = no

the default?  Or have I got something backward?

 Dan Wilder <dan at ssc.com>   Technical Manager & Editor
 SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549   Phone:  206-782-8808
 Seattle, WA  98155-0549    URL http://embedded.linuxjournal.com/