[Mailman-Users] Big Lists

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Tue Dec 18 03:39:54 CET 2001

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001 18:01:56 -0800
Dan Wilder <dan at ssc.com> wrote:

> With these changes in place, a K6-350 with 128M RAM delivers
> messages averaging perhaps 3K over a medium-speed DSL, without
> entirely saturating the DSL, at load average below 2.0, without
> impinging on swap.  It'll reach 20,000 recipients in a couple of
> hours.

Without those changes in place (more exctly, using the Debian/Linux
defaults) a Dual PII-333 on the end of a Tier 2 T3 has regularly
sustained just under 1,400 deliveries (to target MX) per minute for
me.  While I've not maintained that level for more than single digit
minutes (not enough traffic) that sums to 80K messages per hour.
I've been happy enough with those numbers for the box in question
that I haven't looked further.

And no, it doesn't even begin to saturate available b/w.

> disable_dns_lookups = yes

I do have this set.  I also have a local copy of BIND 9 listening on
localhost only.

> mailq

FWVLIW I typically have between 1,500 and 2K messages in my queue on
that machine (my hobby box), all for slow/down MXes.

--
J C Lawrence