[Mailman-Users] Preventing vacation autoresponder mail bombs

Marc MERLIN marc_news at vasoftware.com
Sun Dec 16 23:39:35 CET 2001

On Sun, Dec 16, 2001 at 05:18:33PM -0500, The Berean wrote:
> Is there any workaround in Mailman to prevent this from happening again?

Yes, ban the domain the autoreponder came from if it's from the MTA, or ban
the Email it came from if it's a home cooked script.
Unfortunately, there isn't much more you can do with broken autoresponders.

> The members want the Reply-To setting set for the list, so I dont want to

Sometimes what  your members  want is not  as relevant as  to what  the best
setting is. I  personally tell them  that they can't have  reply-to munging,
and that there are lots of reasons why:
http://marc.merlins.org/netrants/listreplyto.html

(contains a copy of an old post I made on this list about this topic)

> set a reply to that goes to personal members.  Im hoping there's a possible
> solution, modifying sendmail settings or something.  Thanks for any help!

You can  always put some logic  to refuse more  than x posts from  a certain
Email per unit of time, or compute CRCs on messages that you are getting and
refusing messages you already got, but  it'll be hard to implement and tune,
and won't be foolproof.

Marc