[Mailman-Users] the best way to...

Dave Sherohman esper at sherohman.org
Thu Dec 13 18:00:23 CET 2001

On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 09:33:01AM -0600, Alex Sammons wrote:
>    I have a question(a Unix question), what´s the best
> way to transport the files and directories of the
> users located in a ufs  /export/home to another called
> /export/home2, i mean considering home directories,
> passwords, etc....???

Assuming you have the typical set of GNU/Linux tools installed, go
into the source directory (/export/home) and, as root:

find . -xdev -print0 | cpio -pvdm0 /export/home2

If you are not doing this on a Debian system, I would strongly
suggest reading man cpio first to ensure that these are the correct
options for your version.

Note also that, if either the source or destination directory is
mounted over NFS, this will fail if the NFS directory is exported
with the root_squash option (which is the default in most current
nfsd implementations - add the no_root_squash option to override
it).

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss