[Mailman-Users] Unrecognized bounce message

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Wed Dec 12 17:18:45 CET 2001

Hello!

I'm administering a list using Mailman 2.0.6.  I'm sorry I cannot upgrade
it to the latest version (I have no access), but I don't see any changes
related to bounce detection in the NEWS for 2.0.7 and 2.0.8.

The attached message was forwarded to the administrator instead of being
detected as bounced e-mail.

Despite the Polish beginning it has the address in angle brackets and
mentions "quota".  It comes from MAILER-DAEMON.  It also quotes the
original message and contains its message-id.

Please use your judgement whether another rule based on the attached
message should be added or not.  Add it only if you think it won't result
in false positives.

Another related idea - maybe Mailman should add the destination address to
a special header (e.g. X-Mailman-Recent-To or standard Envelope-to) to
detect more reliably whose mail bounces?  For additional reliability (to
avoid rewriting the address) the address could be encrypted or represented
by a number from the database.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin