[Mailman-Users] disabling archives

Richard Barrett R.Barrett at ftel.co.uk
Wed Dec 12 17:05:38 CET 2001

At 10:15 12/12/2001 -0500, Joshua Gould wrote:
At 10:15 12/12/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>"Jon Carnes" <jonc at haht.com> writes:
>
> > Oddly enough, this is under the Archival section of the web-admin...
> > You can turn it off there.  Then, if you want to remove all the old
> > archives, you will need to login to the server and delete the files out of
> > ~mailman/archives/private/<listname>/
> >

>Jon,
>
>If I'm understanding correctly, you are saying to visit:
>
>http://localhost/mailman/admin/testlist/archive
>
>and set "Archive messages?" to no.   Correct?
>
>The problem with this approach is that:
>
>1.> I would have to do it for all of our lists and we have TONS.

Put the following line in a text file and write a short script to run the
$prefix/bin/config_list for each of your current lists:

         archive = 0

this will turn off all your current archiving more easily than using the web UI

>2.> New lists are still created with archiving on by default, so you would
>     need to change this for all new lists too.

If you want archiving off by default for new lists then redefine the
configuration variable DEFAULT_ARCHIVE = 0 in $prefix/Mailman/mm_cfg.py to
override the value of 1 assigned to it in $prefix/Mailman/Defaults.py

>3.> If this list admin is someone other than me, they can simply log in and
>     re-enable archiving.

Yes. That is what list admins are usually entitled to do

>Is there another way to disable archiving site wide?

If you really want to disable it permanently for all lists then I guess you
are going to need to hack the python source.