[Mailman-Users] setup

Richard Barrett R.Barrett at ftel.co.uk
Mon Dec 10 18:43:40 CET 2001

At 11:34 10/12/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>In a message dated 12/10/01 10:30:36 AM Central Standard Time,
>R.Barrett at ftel.co.uk writes:
>
><< >I need some setup help with mailmain...
>  >
>  >I started off by unpacking it:
>  >
>  >tar mailman.tar.gz and it created:
>  >
>  >/home/business/mailman-2.0.7
>  >
>  >it seems to have set the files up and all, now what
>  >do i do?  can someone provide links so how i
>  >can get into configuration...etc..etc...
>
>  read the files called INSTALL, README.xxxxx and FAQ in the directory that
>  was un-gzipped and un-tarred. INSTALL explains how to configure and install
>  Mailman.
>   >>

>I already went over some of it, i just do not understand...
>I have noticed, that it did not unpack like it supposed too...
>it was supposed to create in /home/business/mailman
>but instead it made:
>
>/home/business/mailman-2.0.7

Before going any further, you might as well get the latest version of
Mailman, which is 2.0.8, from
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=103&release_id=63078

Getting Mailman going is a 2 phase process. Assuming you have
mailman-2.0.8.tgz in your home directory:

1. First you unpack the .tgz file into the 'build' directory. Execute the
following commands while logged on as you, not as root.

         cd
         tar zxf mailman-2.0.8.tgz
         cd mailman-2.0.8

2.  You then go into that directory to configure Mailman and then run the
make install which copies the configured, executable version of Mailman
into the directory from which it is normally run.

 From what you say, you have unzipped and untarred the .tgz file and
created a build directory as /home/business/mailman-2.0.7. If you wanted
the build directory somewhere else then you could use the UNIX mv command
to move it or delete it and unzip and untar the .tgz file in the directory
under which you want to put the build directory; I usually put the build
directory under my home directory.

Once you have got the build directory where you want it then you will want
to change to that directory. Now follow the instructions in
mailman-2.0.8/INSTALL.

Per the mailman-2.0.8/INSTALL file you will want to have created the UNIX
user ID and group ID which will run mailman: the user named mailman and
group called mailman before you configure Mailman.

If you intend to run Mailman from /home/business/mailman then make sure to
supply this as the --prefix parameter to configure. Also make sure you know
the mail group ID and cgi group ID and supply these as the --with-mail-gid
and --with-cgi-gid parameters to configure.

You will then run the make program in the build directory to install
Mailman in the directory from which you intend to run it.

I do not mean to be rude but if what I've said above isn't making much
sense and you are struggling with the INSTALL instructions you may need to
upgrade your Linux/UNIX administration skills before embarking on using
Mailman. Without some Linux/UNIX adminstration skills you are going to find
operating Mailman and your MTA may produce problems you will struggle to
cope with.