[Mailman-Users] New FAQ entry: broken autoresponders

Steve Lay S.W.Lay at ucles-red.cam.ac.uk
Fri Dec 7 11:24:24 CET 2001

Good new FAQ page - this page will also be useful when liaising with
postmasters of broken systems too.

But is there more that mailman can do?

I have been looking through several recent mail loop incidents and also
examples of the more benign but still broken one-shot responders that end
up on reply-to lists but mercifully know not to reply to themselves.  In
all cases the envelope sender of the autoreply has been set to something
other than the user - either postmaster or MAILER-DAEMON (in the case of
Novell Groupwise).

Is it possible to filter the envelope sender on a list?  If so, filtering
senders like MAILER-DAEMON would catch groupwise (the worst I've come
across) and postmaster would catch one other that I know of too.  Ideally,
this would be done by mailman itself.  Would these envelope addresses ever
constitute legitimate postings?

I think mailman already examines the envelop sender in the bounce detection
stuff (as errors are traditionally sent with an empty from address in the
envelope).

--
Steve Lay
Technical Manager, ITAL Unit