[Mailman-Users] Managing The Avalanche of Admin Messages

Dan Wilder dan at ssc.com
Fri Dec 7 07:19:30 CET 2001

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 09:33:35PM -0800, pjc at off-road.com wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> This is kind of a newbie question. I appreciate all answers.
>
> A good number of our lists receive dozens of illicit posts daily. Each
> results in a message to admin to take corrective action. Is there a way to
> treat certain, illicit messages different than others?

How many of these posts are irrelevant spam that doesn't even mention
the list address in the "To:" or "Cc:" fields?

An effective way to summarily dispose of this refuse is a procmail
front-end that simply files anything that doesn't mention the list
posting address in its explicit destinations.

This effectively disposes at least of spam sent via third-party
bulk relay.  By its nature, this stuff can't contain customized
per-destination headers.

Unfortunately it also disposes of "Bcc:" to the list, but I guess
I don't lose too much sleep over this.

> I'd like to somehow preserve messages sent by normal subscribers that are
> simply sending same from email addresses other than what is represented in
> their subscription whle simply deleting all the rest before they become
> admin message issues.
>
> Thanks
>
> PJC

 Dan Wilder <dan at ssc.com>   Technical Manager & Editor
 SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549   Phone:  206-782-8808
 Seattle, WA  98155-0549    URL http://embedded.linuxjournal.com/