[Mailman-Users] Large Lists manipulations

Jon Carnes jonc at haht.com
Wed Dec 5 19:45:51 CET 2001

Let's not solve the wrong problem here.  The problem as stated is that it
takes too long to edit the config.db file.  So long in fact, that it can no
longer be done via the web interface.
Contributing factors to this are the size of the list, hence the size of the
database, the disk subsystem the database is stored on, and to a minor
degree the CPU and memory of the box.

One possible solution is to split the database into smaller parts.  You
could create 26 databases and move the users into the database that
corresponded to the first letter of their email.  Then you would change your
old list into an umbrella list that simply relayed mail to these 26 other
lists.
This would be a royal pain to setup, but fairly easy to maintain.
 - Allow folks to subscribe to the main umbrella list. No "welcome" or
password reminders from the main list.
 - Run a script hourly to output then new users of the main list and that
subscribes them to the proper sub-list, and then removes them from the main
list.
 - Each sub-list sends out the welcome and the password reminders.

Of course the easiest solution is to add an LVD SCSI chain to your server
and move the volumes over to that disk subsystem.  This should give a 8x to
20x improvement in speed.

Jon Carnes