[Mailman-Users] Cron

Phil Stracchino alaric at babcom.com
Mon Aug 27 20:37:56 CEST 2001

On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 10:37:06AM -0400, Jeff Baldwin wrote:
> Hello Everyone -
>
> On my server users are not allowed to enter/edit crontabs... will it
> harm the operation of MailMan if I were to put the contents of
> "crontab.in" into my system cron (/etc/crontab) versus doing the
> "crontab crontab.in" as user mailman?

Ask yourself this:  Why are there separate crontabs for separate users
instead of just one big crontab that's run as root?

There's several answers, but they include the fact that some cron jobs,
you don't *want* to be run as root, either because it's unsafe or because
doing so will munge file permissions in such a way that the real owner of
the files (in this case, Mailman) can no longer use them properly.

--
 Linux Now!   ..........Because friends don't let friends use Microsoft.
 phil stracchino   --   the renaissance man   --   mystic zen biker geek
        alaric at babcom.com                halmayne at sourceforge.net
   2000 CBR929RR, 1991 VFR750F3 (foully murdered), 1986 VF500F (sold)