[Mailman-Users] MailMan/VirtualHosts/Postfix

Ryan Creasey ryan at p11.com
Sat Aug 25 00:48:07 CEST 2001

I just recently set mailman up on my company's mailserver running
postfix and this is how I did it:

Create an alias file in the mailman install directory as user 'mailman'.
I named mine 'mm.aliases' for simplicity:

root at khyron.p11.com:/home/mail/mailman# head mm.aliases
## dcms mailing list
## created: 10-Aug-2001 root
dcms:                    "|/home/mail/mailman/mail/wrapper post dcms"
dcms-admin:              "|/home/mail/mailman/mail/wrapper mailowner
dcms"
dcms-request:            "|/home/mail/mailman/mail/wrapper mailcmd dcms"
dcms-owner:              dcms-admin

Okay, then as user 'mailman', run postalias on the mm.aliases file,
creating a mm.aliases.db file.  Exit as user mailman and open your
postfix main.cf file.  Then add a line to your alias_maps variable like
so:

root at khyron.p11.com:/etc/postfix# cat main.cf | grep mm.aliases
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases, hash:/home/mail/mailman/mm.aliases

Reload postfix.  Now, so far you have created a mailing list that
responds to list at machine.domain.com.  In my case, I have setup the list
'dcms at khyron.p11.com'.  However, I want this list to belong to the vhost
'housekurita.net'.  So... I keep a virtual file for each domain, all I
need to do is setup the correct pointers:

root at khyron.p11.com:/etc/postfix# cat v_housekurita.net | grep dcms
dcms at housekurita.net            dcms at khyron.p11.com
dcms-admin at housekurita.net      dcms-admin at khyron.p11.com
dcms-request at housekurita.net    dcms-request at khyron.p11.com
dcms-owner at housekurita.net      dcms-owner at khyron.p11.com

Refresh the virtual file by issuing 'postmap <virtual file>' and then
re-reload postfix: 'postfix reload'.

Once your list is setup and before you add any users, go to your admin
interface for the list you've just created and change the 'host_name'
option for the list over to your virtual host.  In my case, host_name
becomes 'housekurita.net'.  This allows mailman to send mail out as
'dcms-admin at housekurita.net' and when a user sends to the list, it hits
your virtual file, forwards it to the local machine mail, etc.

That should answer question 1, as for 2 and 3... Those can be solved by
looking over some of the options in the admin interface.

Hope that helps... :)

Ryan C. Creasey
Network Engineer
p11creative