[Mailman-Users] Mailman, Ownership, and Apache

Tim Roberts waterknot1 at mac.com
Wed Aug 8 23:45:24 CEST 2001

Well, I may have finally gotten this figured out.
Thanks to a friend who is a Linux/Unix wiz who gave me the key for the
httpd.conf.
I would have to look back to see who suggested making everything in the
$prefix directory user=mailman,
group=mailman. I did that using "chown -R mailman ."  and "chgrp -R
mailman ."
That did not work, but then I did this:

%cd ./cgi-bin
%chown www *

The next part come from my Linux buddy.

"You also should have a <Directory> block relating to this alias in your
httpd.conf file.  This should work if you paste it after the ScriptAlias
line.

<Directory "/Users/timrob/mailman/cgi-bin/">
     AllowOverride None
     Options ExecCGI
     Order allow,deny
     Allow from all
</Directory>

The ExecCGI is the crucial point here as it allows the files inside the
directory to be executed."

My ScriptAlias line reads:

ScriptAlias /mailman/ "/Users/timrob/mailman/cgi-bin/"

So, does anyone see any problem with this setup?
It appears to be working now, so that is my main objective.
However, I still want to be sure it is a secure configuration.

Tim Roberts
mailto:waterknot1 at mac.com