[Mailman-Users] Schedule message posting...

Greg Ward gward at mems-exchange.org
Tue Aug 7 21:07:08 CEST 2001

On 07 August 2001, Joao Borsoi Soares said:
> I've asked before how to schedule the posting of messages to my list.
> Some told me to use cron or tab. The question is, what script/program
> should I schedule so I can send the list messages at a desired time. And
> how to prevent message posting other than the one ajusted by cron?

Here's one crazy idea (completely untested, of course): instead of
running the Mailman queue once per minute, run it once per day (say at
3am).  This will affect *all* Mailman lists on your system, though, so
if you have some lists that want immediate attention and others that
need to languish until the middle of the night, it won't work.

Most likely, you'll use the "crontab -e" command as the "mailman" user
to change this.  Look for a line like
  * * * * * /www/python/bin/python -S /home/mailman/cron/qrunner
and change it to
  0 3 * * * /www/python/bin/python -S /home/mailman/cron/qrunner
to run at 3:00am every day instead of every minute.
This is probably *NOT* a good idea, but you did ask.

That said, I think putting mail delivery off to the middle of the night
is a waste of your time and effort.  If a message doesn't go through due
to congestion, your MTA will defer it and try again later.  Let the MTA
do its job.

        Greg
Greg Ward - software developer                gward at mems-exchange.org