[Mailman-Users] Mailman, Postfix and Mac OS X

Tim Roberts waterknot1 at mac.com
Sun Aug 5 21:26:01 CEST 2001

Hi all,
I'm new to this list and to Mail/List servers in general. I have
successfully installed Postfix
and Mailman on Mac OS X. Had some problems resolving aliases, but
finally got that worked out. I've gotten everything working, but I had
to do some messing around with permissions
to get the Web Interface to work properly.
I want to make sure that what I've done is secure though. On my setup,
scripts in the 'cgi-bin'
directory would be installed with root user and mailman group. With this
configuration, the
web interface would give me "403 Forbidden". I wound up changing
ownership of the following files to 'www' group 'mailman':
admin
admindb
listinfo
subscribe

The web interface now works, but I'm concerned wether this is the more
secure way to do it.

Also, I'm getting the following messages from Cron:

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/home/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 222, in ?
     main()
   File "/home/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 203, in main
     process_lists(lock)
   File "/home/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 140, in process_lists
     mlist = MailList.MailList(listname, lock=0)
   File "/home/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 79, in __init__
     self.Load()
   File "/home/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 892, in Load
     dict, e = self.__load(dbfile)
   File "/home/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 869, in __load
     fp = open(dbfile)
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
'/Users/timrob/mailman/lists/river_rats/config.db'

This looks like another problem with permissions.
Is there a document anywhere that outlines what permissions should be
set?
I would appreciate any help/advice that anyone can offer.

Thanks,

Tim Roberts
Waterknot Productions
mailto:waterknot1 at mac.com