[Mailman-Users] bad lag?

Michael Olivier michaelo at excitehome.net
Thu Aug 2 21:15:09 CEST 2001

At 10:54 AM 8/2/2001 -0700, Drew Krause wrote:
>Our list is large (about 650 members) and there's quite a lag from
>posting to receipt -- 90 minutes in some cases. Are there any ways we
>can tune this? Running with mailman 2.0.6 with sendmail on Redhat 7.
>
>All help appreciated! Thanks!

Drew, you may want to see where the lag is happening... check the headers
in mail that takes a long time to see what server it gets stuck on.... also
you can check the end of /var/log/maillog on your mail server to see what's
happening with outgoing mail.  If you have a lot of recipients who are hard
to reach, it could take a while.  A tight limit on your outgoing bandwidth
could impact you.  And you could consider replacing standard sendmail with
a high-performance alternative like postfix (www.postfix.org), which I use
and like quite well.

--Michael