[Mailman-Users] infinite loop on bounce from postmaster to list

Rich Ramos me at RichRamos.com
Wed Aug 1 07:44:41 CEST 2001

After some digging I think I have found out that we are running into bug "[
#231776 ] Digest From address causing mail loop", however ours has some
twists that I don't think the suggestion in the bug database will fix.

Also, I have some unanswered questions from this bug:
1. Why doesn't the parameter 'LIKELY_BOUNCE_SENDERS' prevent this situation
from happening at all?  The MTA sending the email is coming from this
address: "From: Mail Administrator <postmaster at bellsouth.net>"
Do I not understand this parameter correctly?

2. In the situation that is described in the bug report, why don't the
headers 'Sender:' & 'Errors-To:' get used?  What are these headers suppose
to be used for?

On top of those questions, in our situation I don't know if just changing
the 'From' address will help.  The ccMail system that I refered to in my
last email, changes the From address and replaces it with the Reply-to
address (which it completely drops).  Which is why the bounce snowball was
sent to all users on the dist list because it got changed from
<list>-request to just <list>.  So we would have wound up in the same
situation even if the From address was <list>-owner.  Ugly.

I have included the headers as the get changed by the ccMail system for
digest emails.  The list is test and the domain is chi.mti.com

Normal: