[Mailman-Users] Re: Prohibiting Local Access to Archives

Barry A. Warsaw barry at digicool.com
Fri Apr 27 23:38:09 CEST 2001

    KJ> Is there a way to prohibit local users (with some knowledge of
    KJ> Mailman's archive directory structure and naming conventions)
    KJ> from seeing the contents of archived files?

    KJ> I'd like to continue web-access to the archives for list
    KJ> members, but prohibit access to local users on the Mailman
    KJ> "host machine". The fact that ../mailman/archives/private/ has
    KJ> "drwxrws--x" permissions isn't sufficient.

That's because the world execute bit is still on for that subdir, so
they can cd into and look around to their hearts content.  Just go
ahead and turn that bit off (i.e. make the perms drwxrws---).

Make sure that the archives are set to private.  Also, anybody in the
mailman group will still have access to that directory, but you should
be controlling who's in that group pretty tightly anyway.

BTW, the default permissions for the dirs in archives/private probably
ought to be 02770 anyway.

-Barry